Brew Day - 4BC Altbier v2.0
Just realised this post from a few months ago was never actually published! So I'm going to publish it now. The beer has all gone - it didn't turn out that well unfortunately. The yeast substitution referred to in the last paragraph didn't really work, as the weizen character (spicy, phenolic) dominated.
I had a bit of time today so I thought I'd strike while the iron was hot, and get my first partial mash brew on. A bit of a step up for me this, as all my previous brews have been extract-only or extract plus steeped grains. Today I was using "proper" Pale Ale malt which contains enzymes which help to extract the sugars from the other malts, as well as from the Pale Ale malt itself. This is a step towards all-grain brewing, but because it's only partial mash I still needed some malt extract to make up the fermentable sugars.
For this brew I decided to try a partial mash variant of a beer I'd made (and very much enjoyed) before - a Dusseldorf Altbier. I'd previously made this beer with malt extract but a fair whack of steeped grains, so moving to partial mash was not a big step, but would hopefully make a difference to the depth of flavour.
The recipe for 4BC Altbier v2.0 is as follows:
1.8kg Muntons Light LME
1.5kg Pale Ale malt
0.5kg Crystal malt
0.5kg Munich malt
0.5kg Vienna malt
50g Roast Barley (added because I had some left in the cupboard!)
40g Pacific Jade hops @ 60 mins
30g NZ Hallertauer @10 mins
Irish Moss @ 10 mins
I was planning to use SafAle K-97 like I used for my last Alt, but apparently it has been discontinued so I'm using Safbrew WB-06, which is a weizen yeast.